resale apartment

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
nitty59

resale apartment

Post by nitty59 »

Hi Nigel, we have seen an apt we are interested in, the communal areas are well kept but the buildings are showing signs of age (built 1990) who is responsible for the upkeep of the buildings? Do you think there would be additional costs on top of the communal charges if any work was needed?

Many thanks in advance
michelle22cat

Re: resale apartment

Post by michelle22cat »

Hello

We have a resale apartment in Kato Paphos and if I were you I would see if you can see the original contract of sale. Our service charge only covers the "external areas" and when I have queried this it is the pool area and not the exterior of the blocks. In addition I have just had to pay extra for pool maintenance as the developer, who manages the complex provided a statement to say that there was not enough money to repair the pool! The original contract of sale will give you some idea on what is covered, but tread with caution!!

Regards

Michelle :|
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

@nitty59 - my apologies, I've only just spotted your question.

Responsibility for the maintenance of the common areas, which includes the building's external walls, is the responsibility of the Management Committee. Hopefully they will be collecting sufficient money to build up a contingency fund to pay for the redecoration of the external walls.

@Michelle - you should really look into taking matters into your own hands and set up a Management Committee to look after the complex.

You can both read more about Management Committees and their responsibilities at:

Managing apartments and building complexes

Insurance:

Insurance of apartments & building complexes

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
nitty59

Post by nitty59 »

Hi Nigel

Many thanks for your time to answer we are using Louise as our lawyer will she check that a communal management committee is already registered on the complex.

Many thanks