New Management Committee - Advice needed !

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
DebM

New Management Committee - Advice needed !

Post by DebM »

Hi
New to this forum but have found some really useful information ! We are currently trying to set up a management committee for our complex (fairly small consisting of townhouses & appartments) have read loads about the pros & cons of doing this but we are at least going to give it a go as it currently seems the cheaper option. So if anyone has any advice/experience that they could share it would be much appreciated ! One question I have though is regarding registering the committee with land registry, I have read lots about this but am still not clear on the benefits of doing this ? and is it an actual legal requirement - I don't think it is but if someone could confirm ? also does everyone on the complex have to have their title deeds before we can register ? Thanks !... have lots more questions but will save them for another night.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: New Management Committee - Advice needed !

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi DebM and welcome to the forum,

Here are some documents that should help you setting up a Management Committee, which is a legal requirement.

Jointly Owned Buildings - Law of 1993

Jointly Owned Buildings – Insurance Information

Jointly Owned Buildings – sample regulations for a management committee

You will also find the following article, written by Louise Zambartas, useful - Managing Cyprus apartments and building complexes

Get back to me if you have any questions.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
annemw4

Post by annemw4 »

DebM wrote:Hi
New to this forum but have found some really useful information ! We are currently trying to set up a management committee for our complex (fairly small consisting of townhouses & appartments) have read loads about the pros & cons of doing this but we are at least going to give it a go as it currently seems the cheaper option. So if anyone has any advice/experience that they could share it would be much appreciated ! One question I have though is regarding registering the committee with land registry, I have read lots about this but am still not clear on the benefits of doing this ? and is it an actual legal requirement - I don't think it is but if someone could confirm ? also does everyone on the complex have to have their title deeds before we can register ? Thanks !... have lots more questions but will save them for another night.
Hi Deb
We have just set up a new Committee for a complex in Larnaca and when one of our members went to the Land Registry to register the committee last week, she was told it was no longer a requirement to do so. Interesting since we were told you still had to register
We are currently talking to a lawyer who hopefully will see us through the process, also we are now asking management companies to tender for the contract so keep in touch and we can swap tips.
DebM

Post by DebM »

Hi
Thanks so much for the responses I got and apologies for not responding earlier. Definately good to swap tips ! Its interesting about what the Land Registry have told you, as we are currently opening a bank account for the complex which is dragging on, the committee members have now been told in order to complete this, the bank needs us to register with the Land Registry in Paphos. Our chairman is planning to visit them in the next week, so will be interesting to see what happens !
Deb
Redrobin

Post by Redrobin »

Hi Debs

Can you tell me how your Chariman got on with Land Registry and the Bank with regards opening a Bank account etc for your committee. Did you register with Land Registry?

Thanks.
DebM

Post by DebM »

Hi
From what I can remember our chairman visited the Land Registry and was told by them that we didn't need to register, so no we didn't. The bank account took a lot of organising to open as each member had to go to the bank in person with their passport and complete a form, this was however before the financial crisis and from what I have heard it is now even more hassle to open an account.
Good luck !
Redrobin

Post by Redrobin »

Thank you DebM for your reply.

It is all so confusing when you get conflicting advice....

Many thanks.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Redrobin wrote:It is all so confusing when you get conflicting advice....
It certainly is! This question came up at a PICAS meeting meeting some time ago - it seems that different Land Registry's interpret the law in different ways.

The advice given at that meeting by a prominent lawyer from Nicosia was to get a rubber stamp made and then write a letter to the Director of the Land Registry advising that a Management Committee has been established. I can't find the standard letter, but you can re-work this one
  • DEPARTMENT OF LANDS AND SURVEYS
    The ON PROPERTY OWNED ( Tenure, Registration and Valuation )
    LAW ( Cap. 224 AND Amending Law )

Request for appointment of Management Committee
    ( Article 38KD )

For the District Lands Officer .........................................................

The undersigned ...............................................................................................
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    main unit No. ............ on the ground / floor .................. the jointly-owned building .................................... in jointly-owned building that ................................. located in the block ............. the Board ............ the government survey plans ..................... parish municipality ................................. ................................. inform you that it has not established management Commission / management Committee ceased to function .

I request therefore as , enaskontas your powers conferred by Article 38KD Law , Cap 224 , proceed to the appointment of the Management Committee for such jointly-owned building , such as provided in the above article.

The Main Unit

Date : ....................................

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
northernbelle

Post by northernbelle »

What would you get put on the rubber stamp?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

The name of the committee for sure.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
michelle22cat

Post by michelle22cat »

Hello

In relation to this letter for setting up a management committee can you advise me how many signatures are required?

Also, we have some regulations drawn up (we have used templates that are readily available). Should we attach this as well?

Thanks

Michelle
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Michelle

Please see my earlier post listing resources to help you set up and run a Management Committee.

You can find sample regulations at - Jointly Owned Buildings – sample regulations for a management committee (the link in my earlier reply no longer works.)

If the regulations contained in the law are OK for your situation you should use them rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

It seems that different Land Registry Office have different procedures, I suggest you visit yours to see what they require (but for sure if you use regulations other than those stated in the law, they need to be registered.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth