transfer of EAC communal electricity meters to the committee

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
h3ats33k3r

transfer of EAC communal electricity meters to the committee

Post by h3ats33k3r »

good day,

our development has two communal meters which are still in the name of the developer.
I would like to change them over in the committee's name but the property management (subsidiary of the developer) tells me that EAC would require the chairman of the committee to take over those meters "personally" , of course meaning that he would be personally liable for it - which doesn*t sound very charming of course.

Any ideas how to transfer the meters preferably into the names of the committee or the owners in general?

TIA

G.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: transfer of EAC communal electricity meters to the committee

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi 'G' and welcome to the forum.

I suggest you speak directly to the EAC. They will know precisely what's needed.

I assume your Management Committee has a bank account, in which case registering the committee with the EAC shouldn't be a problem.

However, if the MC doesn't have a bank account, I can understand why the EAC would want it registered in someone's name. (Of course, you then face the problem of changing the registration to someone else following a change of the chairman.)

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
h3ats33k3r

Post by h3ats33k3r »

Thank you Nigel,

advise highly appreciated. We are at the very beginning of "claiming independance" from the developer and of course they are telling us that all this is not possible or only possible with major restrictions. Good to have forum like this one, I will keep everyone posted.

Cheers,

G.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

h3ats33k3r wrote: 25 Aug 2022 20:22they are telling us that all this is not possible or only possible with major restrictions.
In the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davies "Well he would say that, wouldn't he?".

I look forward to developments.

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
J B

Post by J B »

I'm chairman of our committee "T***** J***** Residents Association"

Our EAC bill comes addressed to T J R A - can't remember how we did it, it was a long time ago, but did need a visit to the EAC building on Paphos (don't forget your passport, dog licence, etc etc!!!)
--
J B
h3ats33k3r

Post by h3ats33k3r »

@ J B and of course all the others,

here is a related question to my initial one:

So the government has reduced the VAT rate for domestic electric consumption from 19% to 9%.
Does that also apply to those invoices which are in the name of a committee, hence kind of "shared-domestic" and not entitled to claim back VAT?

Thanks for your input!

GW
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi GW

If the EAC invoice shows a domestic tariff (01, 02 or 08) you will pay at a reduced VAT rate.

If it's something else, you can check what you will pay at Tariffs from 1st June 2022.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
h3ats33k3r

Post by h3ats33k3r »

Thank you Nigel,

so the questions is: those of you who have the communal meters in the name of the committee (i.e. meter for hallway lighting) - do you have a domestic or commercial tariff?

EDIT: so do your communal meters have a tariff 01, 02, 08 (domestic) or 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 (commercial)?

Thanks for sharing your information,

GW
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi GW

I'm surprised that the electricity bills for the communal services and facilities (including the hallway lighting) are not sent the Management Committee?

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
J B

Post by J B »

h3ats33k3r wrote: 12 Sep 2022 17:58 @ J B and of course all the others,

So the government has reduced the VAT rate for domestic electric consumption from 19% to 9%.
Does that also apply to those invoices which are in the name of a committee, hence kind of "shared-domestic" and not entitled to claim back VAT?
Our Tariff is 10-Commercial (for Load = 30 AMP 3-Ph) and we are charged 19%vat
--
J B
h3ats33k3r

Post by h3ats33k3r »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 13 Sep 2022 18:54 Hi GW

I'm surprised that the electricity bills for the communal services and facilities (including the hallway lighting) are not sent the Management Committee?

Cheers,
Well, that was my initial problem when I started this topic, we are in the process of getting rid of the developer and manage things ourselves. So I have started the opening of a bank account with Hellenic in order to get meters transferred to the committee.

Best, GW
h3ats33k3r

Post by h3ats33k3r »

J B wrote: 13 Sep 2022 20:20
h3ats33k3r wrote: 12 Sep 2022 17:58 @ J B and of course all the others,

Our Tariff is 10-Commercial (for Load = 30 AMP 3-Ph) and we are charged 19%vat
Good Morning J B,

wouldn't it make sense to have a domestic tariff here (with lower prices and 9% VAT)? Unless you have some commercial elements in your development. But if a common meter is used solely for domestic purposes which in our case would be outdoor lighting and powering our biological treatment plant, it should be a domestic tariff since the common meters only serve domestic units?

Best

GW
J B

Post by J B »

h3ats33k3r wrote: 14 Sep 2022 06:57
J B wrote: 13 Sep 2022 20:20 Our Tariff is 10-Commercial (for Load = 30 AMP 3-Ph) and we are charged 19%vat
Good Morning J B,
wouldn't it make sense to have a domestic tariff here (with lower prices and 9% VAT)? Unless you have some commercial elements in your development. But if a common meter is used solely for domestic purposes which in our case would be outdoor lighting and powering our biological treatment plant, it should be a domestic tariff since the common meters only serve domestic units?
Best
GW
Interesting point there GW
I suppose it's one of those 'we've always done it that way' situations!
The meter supplies the pool and the lights, not sewerage plant or such like.
Can I do this via email or phone with EAC? (as I'm UK based)
--
J B
h3ats33k3r

Post by h3ats33k3r »

Good Morning J B,

well - I will try to find out if we can change to another tariff once I am in a position to change the meters into the committees name, which should be possible once I have managed to open that bank account for the committee. Then I will discuss with the people at the EAC office and maybe escalate to their superior. My personal experience with emails in Cyprus is pretty bad, phone is better but the best way seems to be to involve them in a personal face-to-face discussion. On the other hand you can give it a try of course through email, attaching the last invoice, telling them who your are (committee member) and explain to them why the tariff should be domestic - and then we shall see.

Best GW
J B

Post by J B »

h3ats33k3r wrote: 15 Sep 2022 10:07 Good Morning J B,

well - I will try to find out if we can change to another tariff once I am in a position to change the meters into the committees name, which should be possible once I have managed to open that bank account for the committee. Then I will discuss with the people at the EAC office and maybe escalate to their superior. My personal experience with emails in Cyprus is pretty bad, phone is better but the best way seems to be to involve them in a personal face-to-face discussion. On the other hand you can give it a try of course through email, attaching the last invoice, telling them who your are (committee member) and explain to them why the tariff should be domestic - and then we shall see.
Many thanks
I will try emailing, but what reasons will we need to suggest that they change our tariff?
--
J B