Establishing a Management Committee

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
bagsound

Establishing a Management Committee

Post by bagsound »

Hello Nigel
We are a complex of mixed properties in the Polis area and Title Deeds have recently become available. This has prompted several owners to instigate establishing a Management Committee in order to comply with the Law in Cyprus even though we realise that such a Committee should have already been established from the time of original purchase. So far it looks as though none of the owners are willing to volunteer. Elsewhere on this forum I believe it has been suggested that if no owner(s) are willing to volunteer then application may be made to local Land Registry (in our case Paphos) to appoint a person or persons to the role. Have you, or does any reader have knowledge of a complex that has done this and done it successfully? What are the implications of such action?

One owner has also asked the following questions: "Does the Committee have to consist solely of owners, or can it include, or even consist solely of, elected representatives, e.g. a solicitor, caretaker, and/or a Management agent?
Leading on from this, is there any provision for a payment to anyone who would be willing to take on a caretaker role for the site, whether or not they are on the new Committee?"

Any help, comments and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Establishing a Management Committee

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi bagsound

I'll answer your second question first. Anyone can be elected to the Management Committee - they don't have to be owners (if there are more than two or them) or even live in Cyprus - but they have to be elected.

If there are two or less MC members, they must be owners.

The minimum number of MC members is 1 and the maximum number 5.

If there is more than 1 MC members, on eof them must be the treasurer.

You can apply to the Land Registry if no-one is prepared to serve on the MC. I haven't heard of anyone who has done this, but it should be possible - see https://portal.dls.moi.gov.cy/en-us/%CE ... DINGS.aspx

When my news site is running again, I'll post a link to the relevant law. You'll find the law at https://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers ... gs-law.pdf

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
barryedwards

Post by barryedwards »

Hi Nigel,
On the subject of forming a Management Committee (bagsound 24th May 2019) is there not a requirement in the Law that says some of the MC members must be owners who reside permanently on site?

Kind regards,
Barry.
merryberry

Post by merryberry »

It's not a requirement of the immovable property law 1993 section 38 that committee members have to be residents of Cyprus or living there permanently.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi merryberry & Barry (sorry I missed your earlier post on the subject Barry).

Rules for Management Committee members as follows:
  • Minimum number 1 (one) - maximum 5 (five).
  • If there is more than one Committee member, one of them must be the treasurer.
  • If the number of Committee members is two or less, they must be owners.
  • No Committee members need to be resident in Cyprus.
You can get a copy of the English translation law and regulations from my website at https://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers ... gs-law.pdf

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news