New Management Committee Confusion

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
cyprussue

New Management Committee Confusion

Post by cyprussue »

Hello Nigel
I'm new to this forum, and have found it to be very informative. Keep up the good work.

I'm getting rather confused over the rules regarding setting a management committee for our complex of 29 properties. Your advice would be most welcome.

A new committee has been formed for our complex. Do we really need one?..
A property management company has been appointed to look after our communal areas/pool etc. which the Committee decided themselves.
The developer of our complex used to take on this role, but have now decided to stop.

Given the fact that we have such a small development, i feel a committee is an unnecessary complexity we could do without. A secretary willing to handle basic clerical duties would suffice, with a small remuneration maybe to cover any time spent emailing etc. Any amendments to the rules of the complex would then be voted on by all owners, on a one property, one vote basis.

Every owner is entitled to their vote on any matter relating to the complex, but I'm being told that it is the Committee who make the final decisions on behalf of the complex owners. Surely this is not right. I don't want the committee members making decisions for me.

Kind regards
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: New Management Committee Confusion

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi cyprussue and welcome to my property forum.

Yes - you do need a Management Committee. Please read advice on the the matter at http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... /id=003397

You just caught me as I was packing up for the night - I'll get back to you again in the morning.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Good morning cyprussue

You can find an English translation of the law governing the management of jointly owned buildings by clicking here.

It describes how management committees are established, the obligations of the committee and the owners, how management fees are calculated, regulations, etc.

A management committee may contract with a company/individuals to carry out the maintenance and repair, etc.

The regulations can be changed (details in the law) and the revised regulations must then be lodged with the Land Registry.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
cyprussue

Post by cyprussue »

Good evening Nigel

Apologies for not replying to you sooneer.... I've been under the weather these past few days, and only just looked.
Thank you for your advice, and I will read up on the articles you mention.
If I have any further queries or confusion I'd like to seek your advice.

Regards
Susan