Association of Building/ Resort Management Committees

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
BedotheCreak

Association of Building/ Resort Management Committees

Post by BedotheCreak »

Hi,

It seems as though there is little municipality or government support for building/ resort management committees, who are constantly struggling with the same type of issues. Despite constant threats from the municipality over 30-years to repair our building, they did nothing to punish the offenders who continue to this day to refuse to pay. Even enlisting the services of a lawyer who is prepared to take on such cases is a huge problem.

Do we have to wait until the day a building collapses and people are killed before action is taken?

Even though the law (Chapter 224) is very clear on the responsibilities of owners of properties in jointly owned buildings, there is almost no enforcement of these laws. Being a member of a management committee is a thankless task with constant problems to handle. I have found the worst offenders are the ones that do the least, and have the most to say of course. I'm sure that most of us only participate to try to protect our investment.

Why have building committees themselves not joined together in an association to bring pressure to bear at governmental level. There must be huge numbers of owners who have the same issues, and with one voice they would have to receive a hearing by government officials who would be forced to act. I understand that there is some legal protection in the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), but this is a long, expensive and drawn out process.

Regards

Dave B.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Association of Building/ Resort Management Committees

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Dave

It could be worthwhile getting in touch with KSIA (the Cyprus Land and Property Owners Organization) – see http://www.ksia.org.cy/index.php?id=1

Denis O'Hare and I met with George Strovolides who was the chairman at the time, and he was very helpful. The current chairman is George Mouskides. (George is the Honorary President).

KSIA is affiliated to the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KEVE) and is a long-standing member of the International Union of Property Owners. It has strong contacts with the government, parliament, local authorities and various other bodies in the property field.

Issues concerning jointly-owned buildings are well known – as are the issues with swimming pools in jointly-owned buildings.

I'm sure both are on KSIA'a agenda.

There's an article by George Mouskides at http://foxrealty.com.cy/foxnews/2016/02 ... nikiastes/ (translate using Google Chrome browser).

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news