Communal Fees - What do they cover?

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
Xena WP

Communal Fees - What do they cover?

Post by Xena WP »

Hi,

Please could someone help?

The management committee where I own a house has bought extra sunbeds for around the pool and charged them to the owners as part of the communal fees. My issue is that 'outsiders' come into our complex and use the facilities as there is no security and no-one to stop the people from coming in. These people do not respect the areas including any sunbeds.

I would like to know if communal fees should just include essential costs or if they can include costs for cosmetic items - especially when they are often used by trespassers? I also begrudge paying the pool maintenance fees when they are also used by trespassers and there is no security stopping them from entering...

Does anyone know if there is a law? What is legally required to be charged as communal fees?

Many thanks in advance!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Communal Fees - What do they cover?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Xena WP

You can find a copy of the relevant law at http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/f ... gs-law.pdf .

The money collected is used for the insurance, maintenance, repair and restoration of the jointly-owned parts of the building.

Unless the Management Committee (with the agreement of the owners) has changed the regulations to include the purchase of sun-beds, etc. the money should not be used for this purpose.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news