Consumer problem with underfloor heating.

Legal questions answered by Cyprus property lawyer Louise Zambartas

Moderator: louisez

Whirlybird2

Consumer problem with underfloor heating.

Post by Whirlybird2 »

Hello Louisez,
My wife and I also some other residents of our small estate in Avgorou have a problem with our underfloor heating not working very good at all,we have all had to buy alternative heating to supplement. Our developer was informed so he put us in touch with the heating company in Nicosia who sent an engineer out with a laser gun to "check" the floor ,his conclusion was that the the heating was only to take the chill off the tiles and not heat the room and also we have a traditional built bungalow, because the walls are not insulated the heat go'es out the walls.I told him that there was too many cold areas and places there was no heating, also showed him photos of the depth of the cables (they are supposed to be 50mm deep and not 100mm as what we have). He then told us that it was not his company (Hydrotherm of Nicosia that laid the heating but our site plumber,not an electrician as you would expect and that our house was laid unsupervised. Anyway we are being told by them all that it is nothing to do with them and Hydrotherm are quite happy that their equipment is working fine even although one of our bedrooms do not have any heat as the thermostat is u/s.
I spoke to to a lady Sonia in the consumer protection office in Larnaca who tells me that she spoke to the developer and Hydrotherm who both reasured her that everything is okay with our heating ( this is without her asking for any proper details from me). So, she tells me that she is sympathetic but her office do'es not have anyone qualified or authorisedto investigate this problem.End of goverment help.
This is only a brief outline of the case and I have numerous e-mails etc to back me up but no one wants to help us in our plite( our soliciter is our developers soliciter as well,so we have not aproached him. Can you give me some advice please.

Kind Regards,

Whirlybird 2
jason.baptiste

Re: Consumer problem with underfloor heating.

Post by jason.baptiste »

Although the under floor heating is considered affordable, the installation is actually expensive.
Another problem that worries owners is that the flooring may crack if you put in the heating yourself. If you have never done under floor heating before, it may be smart to contact a professional.
Buying a cheaper system may seem good, but you will save a lot of money if you go for quality, as if you don't you will have to pay for replacements and repairs in the future.
You can find many companies online that sell high quality systems at great prices. If you need help, staff members are often very knowledgeable as to which systems will be right for you.

[Advertising Link Removed]
trish55a

Post by trish55a »

Would installing an electric baseboard heating or possibly hydronic heating using the existing electric boiler help? I am not an expert on this but I just thought it might do the trick.
I've done some homework on the different variations of wood stoves and learned how they evolved over the past 200 years.
If you're interested you can visit [url=http://www.bestwoodstoves.org/wood_burning_stoves.html]Wood Burning Stoves.[/url]
ChristinaLogan

Post by ChristinaLogan »

trish55a wrote:Would installing an electric baseboard heating or possibly hydronic heating using the existing electric boiler help? I am not an expert on this but I just thought it might do the trick.
Same dilemma then. I need to know the possibilities. If there are or any. Thanks.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

ChristinaLogan wrote:Same dilemma then. I need to know the possibilities. If there are or any. Thanks.
Unfortunately, Louise is an infrequent visitor here these days.

From what you say the system itself is working, but it has been buried too deep in the concrete. I think it best if you speak with a lawyer directly on what options may be open to you to get the problem sorted.

I have gas-fired underfloor heating that was installed by the firm of mechanical engineers that supplied the system. The concrete screed on top and the floor finishes were laid by our building contractor.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news