Laywers Clients A/c.-Interest

Legal questions answered by Cyprus property lawyer Louise Zambartas

Moderator: louisez

caldersley

Laywers Clients A/c.-Interest

Post by caldersley »

Hello Louise, I wondered if you would advise me on the normal policy where money, or funds are sitting in a lawyers Clients A/c waiting to be
used for the costs of acquiring Title Deeds for over 5 months,..........I feel i am i entitled to the monthly interest earned on this money,as a result of
any delays in completion.?

Best regards,Caldersley
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Laywers Clients A/c.-Interest

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Caldersley

Unfortunately Louise rarely gets the time to visit the forum these days, but you can contact her via her law firm's website at http://www.zambartaslawoffices.com/

Following the bailout/bailin layers keep separate accounts for each of their clients - the interest rates are pitiful. Check out details of the Bank of Cyprus 'Premium Client Account' at http://www.bankofcyprus.co.uk/business/ ... t-account/

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
JaneDoe

Post by JaneDoe »

You are entitled to the interest even it is indeed pitiful. Actually, I do not think that the reason for the delay is the enrichment of the lawyer from the interest that the deposited money is bearing. The lawyer who keeps the money in trust, also does not have a duty to find the highest possible interest rate.
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

JaneDoe wrote:You are entitled to the interest even it is indeed pitiful. Actually, I do not think that the reason for the delay is the enrichment of the lawyer from the interest that the deposited money is bearing. The lawyer who keeps the money in trust, also does not have a duty to find the highest possible interest rate.
It was my understanding that Client accounts don't earn interest, or that lawyers cannot gain from interest from their clients money.

Although I could be wrong!
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
JaneDoe

Post by JaneDoe »

Pantheman wrote:
JaneDoe wrote:You are entitled to the interest even it is indeed pitiful. Actually, I do not think that the reason for the delay is the enrichment of the lawyer from the interest that the deposited money is bearing. The lawyer who keeps the money in trust, also does not have a duty to find the highest possible interest rate.
It was my understanding that Client accounts don't earn interest, or that lawyers cannot gain from interest from their clients money.

Although I could be wrong!
Some lawyers indeed may use pooled non-interest bearing accounts as clients' accounts for short-term jobs. It depends on the instructions given by the client (i.e. you could instruct him/her keep the money in an interest-bearing account) and the kind of the account which is operating as a clients' account... I suppose that you are allowed to know whether the money kept by your lawyer in trust is deposited in a interest-bearing account or not. If so, you are normally entitled to the (pitiful) interest, because lawyers cannot gain from their clients' money.
george012

Post by george012 »

Yes you are entitled to the interest. I have a question that can a lawyer hire another lawyer for the case?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello george012 and welcome to the forum.

Yes - a lawyer can hire another lawyer for a case.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news