New Member Jackie

Drop in & say hello
Jackie

New Member Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Hi! I'm Jackie and I am hoping to move to Paphos this year with my partner David.

We bought off-plan in May 2004 with a completion date of June 2006. Is it finished . . . NO! Anyway we are coming over in the middle of May for a couple of weeks to finalise everything and my Mam is coming with us again hoping she can find a property close-by.

I wish we had found forums detailing peoples experiences before we comitted but that said it is in a beautiful village and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Good luck with the site Nigel and thankyou for your help in the past.

Jackie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: New Member Jackie

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jackie & welcome,

Let's hope your off-plan is finished before too long! Whereabouts in Paphos is it?

Hope that your mum can find something close by. There's quite a bit of resale property around at the moment, so finding something to suit shouldn't be too difficult.

Have a good trip and if you have any questions, do feel free to ask.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
MC

Post by MC »

Hi Jackie
Let's hope your place is a lot nearer completion if not completed when you visit in May. It certainly appears to be taking a long time.
You have no doubt realised that Nigel's advice is invaluable so please ensure that at least your mother your mother has everything tied up tighter than a duck's posterior.
Where there any penalty clauses for failure to deliver on the agreed date included in your original contract?
All the very best to you, I'm in Paphos myself toward the end of May, so here's hoping you see progress.
Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Hi! Nigel,

We are moving to Mandria close to Timi.

Hi! MC,

Our home is nearly completed but the problem is with the planning permit which has not yet been issued. The problem was that the road next to us was not on the land terrier and the developer was uncertain whether they would leave it where it is or whether is would be moved. After a long wait they decided to move the whole development in 4 metres and lost 2 properties at the other end to enable them to start construction. We have only the kitchen and pool to order and then it will be finished, but without the permit we have whitheld all monies. We do have a clause for compensation written into our contract but whether it will be paid . . . who knows.

Jackie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

If the Planning Permit has yet to be issued, it's going to be quite a while before the property's 'finished'. After the Planning Permit, the developer needs to get the Building Permit(s) - this can take anything from 3 to 10 months.

Does your contract say anything about building permits? (There's a case that I know of in Larnaca where a developer built without Planning & Building Permits - and the Planning Authority refused to issue them. Three of the houses in the development have now had demolition orders issued against them - and the buyers are appealing the decision - they're still waiting to hear).

It's good that you managed to withhold the money - a delay is one thing, but having your new home demolished is something else!

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
pippin

Post by pippin »

Hi Jackie, I am sorry to hear you are having such a nightmare with your property, but as Nigel says at least you have withheld the monies so that should prompt the developer to do everything he can to sort out the problems.
As Nigel suggested it would be a good idea for your mum to look at resales. There are a lot of properties on the market and as far as resale properties are concerned it is is a buyers market at the moment.
My husband and I sell property in the Paphos area and have found in t he past few months that because properties are sticking many vendors are now willing to accept reasonable offers so your mum should be able to get a bargain.
If you would like help in finding something for her feel free to pm me and I will see what I can do.
Whatever happens I wish you luck. Cyprus is a lovely country to live in despite some of the problems. Lets face it nowhere is perfect, but this is as close to perfection as I have found, having lived in many countries in the past.

Kind regards Veronica(pippin)
Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Sorry Nigel I meant the building permit :oops:

I will keep you informed and hopefully it willbe our turn soon :mrgreen:

Jackie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

No problem Jackie - the planning system here even confuses the developers :-?

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth