wanting to buy a property in cyprus

Drop in & say hello
cliffyamo

wanting to buy a property in cyprus

Post by cliffyamo »

Hi, I've been to cyprus several times over the last few years but have always wanted to "have a place in the sun" its been a dream for a good few years now even goin to the point of learning spanish at night school and studing for a couple of years,but after visiting Cyprus im convinced this is the place i want to now fulfill my dream.
I will be looking for a property on the paphos/polis side of the island and any advice is most welcome.
I'm not interested in a new build with all the complications that seem associated with these but with a resale or already built property.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello cliffyamo and welcome.

Paphos is the most popular place with British buyers. The Polis area is growing in popularity, now that an extension to the highway is planned to link it to the rest of the island.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is to take independent legal advice. And yes, buying resale property is generally safer than buying something off-plan.

Unless people know the island quite well, I always advise those who are planning to make their permanent home here to rent before they buy - for 6 months or a year.

Some people find out too late that Cyprus is not the place for them. They discover that family ties are too great or find it too difficult to settle in a foreign country. Others buy property in haste and regret their decision. Many sell up after a year or two and return to the UK, while others move to somewhere on the island more to their liking.

If you’re thinking about buying in one of the resort areas, rent outside the main tourist season. This will give you the opportunity to experience what living there’s like at the quiet time of the year when there are fewer people about and some of the local facilities are closed for the winter.

(I was in a picturesque village yesterday in the foothills of the Troodos. It's a bustling, busy place during the tourist season, but in the winter it's very quiet. I was talking with someone who lives there - there are only 12 permanent residents. Most of the other houses are second homes, owned by those living and working around Limassol).

Once you've found your ideal spot, ask the people living there if they know of anything for sale. Estate agents fees are very high here compared to the UK. So if you can find something yourself, you'll save yourself quite a bit of money.

If you have any specific questions about buying resale property, there's a Buying Resale Property Section. Post them there and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news