Hi, I'm Paul and just joined the forum - 2 concerns

Drop in & say hello
Pauleus

Hi, I'm Paul and just joined the forum - 2 concerns

Post by Pauleus »

2 concerns bothering me at the moment. be grateful if anyone has any comments.

1) IPT. I received a demand from my developer for "repayment" of IPT they say they have paid on my behalf since 2006. I have seen documents stating that developers have to provide clients with proof, i.e. invoice from tax department etc, to prove that they have paid the IPT on our behalf. However they appear to be very reluctant to do so. I have emailed then 4 times asking them to provide the required proof but they simply ignore my requests. Am I legally obliged to pay it even though they will not provide me with evidence that they have paid it on my behalf and also can they legally charge me a penalty for not paying it on time even though they have not provided me with previously mentioned proof. I have told them I am happy to pay it provided they provide me with the proof they have paid it but they will not respond.

2) We have a comunal pool and Aristo have said it is classed as a public pool and the new law says we have to have a lifeguard present when people are using it. This would mean we would have to pay someone (I was told 10 Euros an hour) 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for lifeguard duties. This would be a considerable expense. We were previously told by Aristo that the pool is a splash pool not a swimming pool but now they are saying the opposite.
I don't see how it can be classed as a public pool when it is for just for residents.
Is there somewhere where I can look up what the law is about these matters ?

Thanks

Paul
emgee

Re: Hi, I'm Paul and just joined the forum - 2 concerns

Post by emgee »

It is a public pool as is ours. We just ignore the Lifeguard requirements, no-one checks up.

You can make being on the Committee a nightmare or be more relaxed about it.

Alan
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Regarding the repayment of Immovable Property Tax to the developer, the Cyprus Property Action Group took legal advice on this matter six years ago - see Immovable property tax & fraudulent practices.

But before you hand over any money, "the seller of the property has to supply the buyer with records of the amount paid as Immovable Property Tax (IPT) and a certificate showing the rate of IPT applicable to the property". Please refer to this letter from the Interior Ministry. You shouldn't allow yourself to be browbeaten into paying until the developer has provided you with the required information.

Regarding swimming pools - unfortunately communal swimming pools in private residential developments such as apartment blocks, terrace/town houses and maisonettes are considered to be public swimming pools are considered public pools. In 2008, the government was (allegedly) discussing changing the legislation - but nothing happened - see New swimming pool laws bring relief.

Depending on the depth of the pool, you may be able to get away with out a 'trained supervisor'. I suggest you check with one of the local swimming pool suppliers - they'll be able to give you chapter and verse.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pauleus

Post by Pauleus »

Nigel Howarth wrote:Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Regarding the repayment of Immovable Property Tax to the developer, the Cyprus Property Action Group took legal advice on this matter six years ago - see Immovable property tax & fraudulent practices.

But before you hand over any money, "the seller of the property has to supply the buyer with records of the amount paid as Immovable Property Tax (IPT) and a certificate showing the rate of IPT applicable to the property". Please refer to this letter from the Interior Ministry. You shouldn't allow yourself to be browbeaten into paying until the developer has provided you with the required information.

Regarding swimming pools - unfortunately communal swimming pools in private residential developments such as apartment blocks, terrace/town houses and maisonettes are considered to be public swimming pools are considered public pools. In 2008, the government was (allegedly) discussing changing the legislation - but nothing happened - see New swimming pool laws bring relief.

Depending on the depth of the pool, you may be able to get away with out a 'trained supervisor'. I suggest you check with one of the local swimming pool suppliers - they'll be able to give you chapter and verse.

Regards,
Thanks Nigel.