Where to begin .. title deeds?

Drop in & say hello
freewheeling

Where to begin .. title deeds?

Post by freewheeling »

Hi,

I need to sell two apartments in Cyprus from abroad. The original developers have the Title Deeds (I'm told) but weren't releasing them unless thousands in back charges were paid. To make it more complicated, the Title Deeds aren't in my name, but belonged to my late sister (I'm the executor). I get the impression that getting the developers to release the title deeds is going to be a nightmare, if not impossible from aboard. Can they really just withhold deeds, even though the property is paid for, just because of unpaid property management charges arrears? If that's the case, they could just make up whatever amount they like - can they legally do that? Not sure what to do. Help!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Where to begin .. title deeds?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi freewheeling and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. Did she make a Will in Cyprus? If so, the Will has to go through probate before anything can be done.

If your late sister didn't make a Will in Cyprus but made one in the UK, that Will has to go though probate in the UK and then through probate again in Cyprus. This can take a year or more.

If she didn't make any Will, then her estate in Cyprus will be disposed of according to the intestacy laws of Cyprus.

You will need a lawyer in Cyprus to handle this on your behalf - see https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... mplate.pdf

Has the developer sent you your late sister's accounts? (If she didn't pay the communal fees (management charges), the owner can block the transfer until they've been paid).

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news