New land regulations

You'll need land to build a custom home
jackk19

New land regulations

Post by jackk19 »

Hi,.

I read this weekevd in the Cyprus Weekly about the new regulations regarding agricultural land and the governments prevention of building 'sporadic' developments unless they meet certain criteria such as being a local in order to own a permit to buil on such land. It was written by a Mr A Loizou who is a property consultant and valuer and basically stated a case whereby such land could become worthless. Is there any truth in his opinion.

Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: New land regulations

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi jackk19,

Yes - I have read the article. Some time ago the Interior Minister announced that his department would be revising the planning system - and I guess this is one of the things they have come up with.

I think we'll have to see how this works out in practice before jumping to hasty conclusions - but it does sound very worrying for those with land outside a development zone.

I think I can see what the minister is trying to do. All this piecemeal development that goes on creates chaos with things like electricity and water supply and drainage - all of which could be better organised if more controls were in place.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Anyone have a link to the article please??
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Pantheman wrote:Anyone have a link to the article please??
You'll find it at http://media.philenews.com/Flash/cyprus ... eflip.html - on page 6.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote:
Pantheman wrote:Anyone have a link to the article please??
You'll find it at http://media.philenews.com/Flash/cyprus ... eflip.html - on page 6.

Regards,
Thank you Nigel.

lets hope that someone can see sense and reverse this madness. Regulate somehow if you must, but this is drasic and it will lead to tears and a complete muckup of the system. This is open to abuse, corruption and nepotism and does nothing for the country. Where do they find these complete idiots to draw up these pathetic ideas, seriously. I makes me want to bang some heads together.
FSB Properties Ltd
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Pantheman wrote:I makes me want to bang some heads together.
I think you'll hear a rather hollow sound :-)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
jackk19

Post by jackk19 »

Hi,

So why are these regulations bad?
The article states that if you are a local or of local origin, have no other house, the land has a passable road and that the land must not exceed 1.5km from the village then you potentially can acquire a permit.
I can see many people meeting those criteria and am unsure how such land could diminish in value.
I can also see how developers may find the regulations restrictive and how abuse can creep in but abuse, apathy and deceit has more or less crushed the little left of the property market because ALL those involved failed to do anything regarding title deeds, transparency, corruption and poor advocates.
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

jackk19 wrote:Hi,

So why are these regulations bad?
The article states that if you are a local or of local origin, have no other house, the land has a passable road and that the land must not exceed 1.5km from the village then you potentially can acquire a permit.
I can see many people meeting those criteria and am unsure how such land could diminish in value.
I can also see how developers may find the regulations restrictive and how abuse can creep in but abuse, apathy and deceit has more or less crushed the little left of the property market because ALL those involved failed to do anything regarding title deeds, transparency, corruption and poor advocates.
Accprding to the report, a planning permit 'MIGHT' be considered if you meet that criteria. As well as that, your market is limited to only locals, where as now you have a bigger market. Of course the value will change. So what if you already own a house, means you land is useless? You can only sell it to a local who meets the criteria? Which means he has you over a barrel? Right. We have just moved away from such restrictive conditions in within the SBA areas, now we are trying to impose them into normal areas? I agree agricultural land should not be extensively developed, but to build a single home on it I don't see an issue. Ontop of this, this would then, by, default make residential land more valuable and those (big wigs that own most of it), can then hold you to ransom, knowing you cannot build on that field just up the road. No my friend, it has not been properly thought out and these 'idiot' officials who make this stuff up have to answer to someone.
I have not even mentioned the financial implications of this farce.

Thats my take on this.
FSB Properties Ltd
alba

Post by alba »

I guess it's interesting to think if new regulations like this would be possible. I don't think that the government will support it neither will I support it. I'm really not sure which advantages this would have. What do you think?
Although I also understand jackk's point of view! of course!
DFG

Post by DFG »

I've heard from one constructor about the new law issued this or past week concerning agricultural lands, it says that nobody will get a building permit from now. Is it true? How to check and is there some window to buy such a land and build one house? Or it is better to forget about agricultural land?
In the title deeds of Г3 zone lands is written the building factor, for example, 10%, 2 floors, 8.3 meters height. What to do with this and how to understand this now?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi DFG and welcome to the forum,

I have a look through all the new laws on the cylaw website but haven't come across anything about a law concerning building on agricultural land. (The website's in Greek, but if you use Google Chrome as your web browser, it's easy to translate.)

There are restrictions about building on agricultural land regardless of building factors, etc. There's also the size of the plot depending on where it is situated plus you will probably need access from a public road that has to be at least 4 metres wide. You may also have to give up part of the land for a green area.

I suggest you check with your local authority's planning department - and also the Land Registry's plans that will show the public roads. If you have the Title Deed for the land you can get the Land Registry plans on-line by following my guide - Online property valuations revisited

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
DFG

Post by DFG »

Hi Nigel,

Maybe it is not the LAW but some kind of instruction from government to Land Department of Cyprus...
Trying to find out something about it...

Thank you!
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

DFG wrote:Hi Nigel,

Maybe it is not the LAW but some kind of instruction from government to Land Department of Cyprus...
Trying to find out something about it...

Thank you!
It is not a law, it is a direction by the Nicosia planning authority to regional planning departments, not to issue licences on agricultural land, unless some certain conditions are met.

Anyone buying agricultural land to develop needs to proceed with caution. Of course it also depends on many characteristics of the land in question, its location, positioning, roads, power lines and numerous other you need to consider.

You have been warned.
FSB Properties Ltd
DFG

Re: New land regulations - 2016 update

Post by DFG »

Last edited by DFG on 16 Nov 2016 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Thanks DFG

I've just published an article based on an announcement from the Ministry of Interior's website about Reforming Licensing and Control of Building Development.

Unfortunately Notices are not published (as far as I can see). The notice is a game changer for those thinking of buying agricultural land.

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth