Floor heating in bathroom.

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
oivindisaksen

Floor heating in bathroom.

Post by oivindisaksen »

We bought a property in Latsi from a well known Cyprus developer (Pafilia).
After taking over the property we found out that the floor heating in one bathroom
was combined with the floor heating of the adjacent bedroom. In another bathroom
the floor heating was combined with the heating of the corridor. In other words,
if we want to heat the bathroom we are forced to have the same heat in the bedroom
and corridor. We like to shower warm and sleep cool, but when we confronted the
top management with the problem they claimed that this was normal in Cyprus and
we had no reason to complain. A lot of things are "not normal" in Cyprus construction
business, but is this nonsense really normal? Can anybody advice me?
Many thanks in advance
Best regards
Øivind Isaksen (Norway)
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Floor heating in bathroom.

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Øivind

I have gas-fired underfloor heating. The hot water is distributed through a manifold to different parts of the house. Although we could switch off the hot water circulating to some of the rooms, we have never bothered to do so.

We also had the option of having the heating in different areas of the house controlled by individual thermostats. But again, we didn't bother.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a 'right' or a 'wrong' way to arrange the heating; it is all down to individual preferences.

(And I guess you will have much more experience of underfloor heating in Norway. It is not very common in the UK and even less common in Cyprus).

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
oivindisaksen

Post by oivindisaksen »

Hi Nigel!

Thanks for your reply.
Originally our agreement with the developer was to have heating with radiators and
provision for infrared heating in bathrooms. Subsequently, the developer offered electric
floor heating at no extra cost. It of course never stroke our minds that heating in bedroom
and bathroom would be common without seperate controls. I believe the company should have
informed us in advance and we would not have opted for such a strange solution. The
company is marketing itself as environmentally friendly and then we have to heat half
of the house to take a shower! Not to speak about heating the bathroom and bedroom
where we sleep with open windows. Yes in Norway we have a lot of floor heating and construction
standards are easily available, but nothing is said about above issue. If a contractor had
done this in Norway he would silently accept to open the floor and do it all over again,
otherwise it would have been his last order ever.
I have actually as a compromise asked the developer to install infrared heaters in the
2 relevant bathrooms (there are provisions). They even reject that.
Kind regards
Øivind
ziancolins

Post by ziancolins »

I think you should contact with a floor heating company for getting your problem's solution.