House Renovation Costs

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
donotjudge

House Renovation Costs

Post by donotjudge »

I have a list of things that have been listed to be done by a contractor, but looking at the list, I can't justify the 50,000 EUR price they have quoted us. I am 99% sure us not being there present, and speaking English has had an effect on this quote.

I will list the 'needed done' items here

NEED DONE
- Connecting to Sewage system
- Installing electrics, applying for and gaining permission ready for Solar Panels
- Flat Roof needs to be redone as it has no incline. inside 3 rooms and the staircase needs the ceiling replastered and painted.
- Windows & Doors (front and back) replaced (supply and install). Includes replacing all wooden window frames as well as current glazing.
- Refurbishing and replumbing both bathrooms and the downstairs toilet which includes retiling and installing air bricks to help with ventilation and supply of the 'furniture' (toilets, bath, shower, taps etc
- Internal guttering all needs to be blocked off and external guttering fitted
- Supply and fit a new pressure water tank to improve water pressure and replace boiler that works with a pressure tank.
- Supply and Install heaters throughout the house. 8-10 in total. Use electric ones rather than gas to prevent needing to keep buying gas and build storage.
- Supply and installing more air conditioning units including proper wiring with heat safety switches.
- Supply and fit gates outside on patio steps to prevent kids getting out

We want a second quote or even third quote to compare prices. Is there anyone anyone can recommend?

Any advice is apprecaited.
Pantheman

Re: House Renovation Costs

Post by Pantheman »

Hello,

your list is very vague and you have no chance getting a sensible quote based on that.

Reading through the list of things, 50,000 may not even be enough depending on the work needed doing.

You need to have drawings and most probably planning permission to do all this stuff. Why not consult an architect help you with preparing the proper scope of work, dogs, make applications and get quotes from different sources.

Good luck
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
donotjudge

Post by donotjudge »

Thank you for your reply.

The list was given by a company that is willing to carry out the work for 50,000. We don't actually have an idea of what is needed, a relative just said the house is in bad shape and that we should get it checked. We know nothing else as currently, we are not present. If I can manage to get a couple of rough quotes by sending out people to give us quotes (our relative will give access) then I will fly out and keep everything in check. Its a bit of a difficult situation from my perspective.

The house has been sitting for a few years now and we only want to make it suitable to live in. Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Do you have any photos of the property showing what needs to be done?
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
donotjudge

Post by donotjudge »

Not right now, but i plan on travelling soon. My father just told me to ask the builders what 'needs' to be done in order for it to be habitable. He doesn't want any extra work like the solar panels listed in the list given to me (that i provided in my initial post)
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

donotjudge wrote: 20 Sep 2023 15:27 My father just told me to ask the builders what 'needs' to be done in order for it to be habitable.
This sounds to me like giving the builder an open cheque. You may want to get a RICS surveyor to inspect the property and itemise what needs to be done to make it habitable - and in what priority order.

Regards
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Vendela

Post by Vendela »

From my little experience I have now in building on Cyprus many alarms ring on your description.

First you can't trust Cypriots. Sorry, but either they lie or what I think is more often the case, they simply have no idea and are unable to give a correct price. So do yourself a favor and use a technical engineer and quantity surveyor and make everything in written form. Otherwise you will end up with minimum double.

50000 is a house number, not even a ballpark figure.

I am honest and it sounds harsh, but sorry, there are no better words to sugar coat it.

Good luck!