planning permission query

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Zoe Charalambous

planning permission query

Post by Zoe Charalambous »

Hallo,

Wonder if you can be of help. I own a small house in Nicosia, two months ago I found out the land behind my house is being developed into flats. Three floors of flats are going up. I had never heard about this and indeed this building will darken the light of my house preventing it from entering. In the process the developer has damaged part of my property and when I spoke to his supervisor he said they would fix it when they are ready. My question is this how was he given planning permission without even asking the the people already living there for permission? how can a three floor structure go up and completely obliterate the light from the existing houses? Why was I not asked permission for this as a person who would be so affected?what can I do about getting damage to my house fixed? Is there anything I can do about it?
Many thanks

Zoe C
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: planning permission query

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Zoe and welcome to the forum

Unfortunately there is nothing to prevent developments such as your block of flats. The planning authorities will check to see that the plans submitted comply with the zoning regulations for the area (site coverage, build density and height.) They don't have to consult with people living in the area as they do in some other countries.

It's a particular problem when land is re-zoned from (say) 20% density to (say) 90% density and the height of buildings is increased. People living in older properties that were built before the land was rezoned suddenly find themselves surrounded by taller buildings. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it.

Just over a year ago the Interior Ministry announced it was reviewing the planning and building permit system (see Planning & building permit overhaul.) This may address the problems you are facing but it will be too late to help you.

The developer who damaged your property should repair it - perhaps a letter to this effect from your lawyer will help.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news