Title Deeds issue

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
paul3

Title Deeds issue

Post by paul3 »

Hello Nigel,
New to this forum,
We applied for our Title Deeds some time ago via our Lawyer a well respected Paphos based lawyer. We have paid all monies due to our developer as requested by our lawyer and the developers lawyer, this has gone on for some time but we received this E mail last week when asking our lawyer what the hold up was, I have removed the developers name.
There is no news regarding your title deed.  As I have been informed from the Land Registry Office, they cannot proceed any further until developer takes the certificate for completion of the pavements and road to the Land Registry.  I will send an email to developers lawyer about this but I prefer you to put a little pressure on them as well.

It appears the developer has some small pavement work to complete and a small part of the access road needs tarmac, the developer may be reluctant to do this as wants to develop the land further when demand occurs, at present we are in a small cul de sac of 3 villas, we have had no issues with the build quality it was completed in 2008 and developer to now has provided a good service, can you advise as we want to be able to sell soon and this is dragging on.

Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Title Deeds issue

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello paul3 and welcome to the forum.

There are a number of options:

1. As your lawyer suggests write to your developer urging him to complete the work.

2. Take matters into your own hands together with your neighbours and arrange and pay for the road & pavements to be completed and arrange for the planning dept to inspect the work and issue a completion certificate.

If you and your neighbours held back money until the Title Deeds were issued you could use this. And in any case you would need to discuss this with your developer and confirm your intentions in writing and asking him to pay.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
paul3

Post by paul3 »

Thanks for the quick response Nigel I will look at the options and put pressure on the developer to complete the works. Not sure what you mean about withholding funds I presume you mean for the title deeds if we complete the works with a neighbour. As we have already paid the developer in full.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi paul3

One way you can 'encourage' a developer to get Title Deeds issued is to have a clause in your contract withholding a decent sum until Title Deeds are issued and available for transfer.

Unfortunately it sounds as if your contract doesn't include such a clause.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news