Purchasing of share of land

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
VCY

Purchasing of share of land

Post by VCY »

Hello Everyone,

Me again, our quest to find land is slowly ongoing.

There is a piece of land (horafi, not a plot) we're interested in, the owner is selling half of it. I know that this is far more difficult than buying a 100% of a plot, but we like the piece. We're not in a rush to start building.

If we move further I will sure go to a lawyer, but anyone has knowledge of how such transaction normally goes? Sometimes the lawyers can simplify things to get them on-board...

1) I would guess that the contract should oblige the seller to support separation of land into two parcels according to a certain topographical plan?
2) Is there any chance that Land Registry will refuse separation of land in a residential zone? How long does it usually take? I heard you need to build a house first, and then apply?
3) As part of building permission, one has to build pavement for entire length of the land parcel frontage, not just his share?
4) Any other caveats (specifically when buying a share)?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Purchasing of share of land

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi VCY

A horafi (Χωράφι) is an agricultural field - are you certain it's in a residential zone? I suggest you check with the Town Planning Department. (If you have the deed to the land you can also check the zoning on the Department of Lands and Surveys website).

You can read about how to go about dividing it on pages 23 and 24 of the Department of Lands & Surveys Citizens' Charter.

I cannot second guess whether the Town Planning Department will approve a partition permit.

Assuming you're allowed to have the land partitioned, how much pavement and road you'll need to build depends on how the land is divided. Assuming that it's only you who applies for planning permission after the land has been sub-divided you will probably need to build a pavement and half the width of a road along your frontage (and possibly along one of the sides of the land).

You'll also need to budget for bringing water, electricity and telephone to the land.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
VCY

Post by VCY »

Hello Nigel,

Once again, thank you for your responses.

The land is definitely in residential zone H6, DLS website confirms it. In Cyprus they seem to refer to land (not plots) as horafi, so far all title deeds I've seen in residential areas for unprepared land had "horafi" in them. "Oikopedo" was used for plots with complete infrastructure such as pavements, services etc. Such use of terminology was also confirmed to me by an estate agent.

It would be interesting to know what points need to be included in agreement when you buy a share of land to ensure that the counter-party is obliged to give its consent and support to all of the procedures. Lawyers are supposed to take care of this, but on the other hand, we all know what often happens in reality - always good to double check.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi VCY

H6 is residential. The landowner needs to agree to have the land divided in two - and as this will benefit you I suggest you agree to share cost with him.

Once the land has been subdivided and you have the deed for your half then there's nothing else the other owner has to do.

But you may need to give up some of your land for a green area, put in road(s) and pavement(s) and arrange supply of water, electricity and telephone. If the land isn't on a public road you'll need to get right of way to access it. (The cadastral plan will show if there's access.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi VCY

I see you've asked similar questions previously - see reply from Pan at viewtopic.php?p=6516#p6516

You've asked questions on a range of property subjects - selling mortgaged property, villa/commercial investment.

Are you involved in the property industry?

Rgds,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
VCY

Post by VCY »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 12 Dec 2017 00:36 Hi VCY

I see you've asked similar questions previously - see reply from Pan at viewtopic.php?p=6516#p6516
Those questions were regarding a whole plot, this time I wanted to know specifics of purchasing a share.
You've asked questions on a range of property subjects - selling mortgaged property, villa/commercial investment.

Are you involved in the property industry?
Definitely not :-) I can only hope that people in the industry would have better knowledge than me and not ask such naive questions.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Perhaps when you have decided what you want to buy, i.e:

1. A commercial property
2. A villa
3. A mortgaged property
4. A plot of land
5. A half plot of land

I'll be able to help further.
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
VCY

Post by VCY »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 17 Dec 2017 11:11 Perhaps when you have decided what you want to buy, i.e:

1. A commercial property
2. A villa
3. A mortgaged property
4. A plot of land
5. A half plot of land

I'll be able to help further.
I get a feeling that you're suspecting that I have some kind of sinister motives, I'm sorry if I have left such an impression.

Initially we were interested to buy a bungalow, but after seeing what is being offered we decided to look for land and build ourselves. All my questions on the forum were asked in accordance to the timeline of our thoughts and I'm happy to state that we have finally settled on a piece of land we want to buy and currently in the process of finalizing.

Yours and Pantheman help are greatly appreciated.

I may still come back here with questions regarding building. :-)

Thanks!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi VCY

My wife and I bought a building plot (οικόπεδο) and built a bungalow. I published a number of articles that you may find useful:

Buying to Build in Cyprus.

Finding Land.

Building a Property.

and

Completing the Build.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth