Expenses when selling property

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Hoffman

Expenses when selling property

Post by Hoffman »

Hi Nigel
I am new to this forum but you have given me excellent advice over the years on another, so I am counting on you again.

Because of the recent passing of my husband, I need to sell my house as soon as possible and return to the UK. The problem is I don't have Title Deeds after 12 years of trying. However, I have been approached recently by someone who could be interested in my property, not to buy for himself, but to try to find a buyer for me. Understandably without Title I need to reduce the price, but to come to a fair figure I need to know what other expenses would be liable to pay on any sale. That will allow me to work out what price I could ask and what I would be 'happy' with. This person is not an estate agent but trying to help me and earn himself a few € along the way, so I could negotiate his fee if he was to find a buyer. In my situation I cannot afford to be choosy. I know I will make a substantial loss, but can comfort myself knowing what a lovely life my husband and I had here in Cyprus.

Thanks in advance
H
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Expenses when selling property

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Dear 'H' welcome to the forum and my condolences on the loss of your husband.

Assuming you bought in joint names, you can't sell the property until your late husband's will has gone through probate. If he appointed a lawyer as his executor, this will be the most expensive cost. I can't say how much it will be as it's assessed on the value of his estate. There's a paper that gives the formula at http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... tions-.pdf .

As you don't have the deeds your buyer will need an assignment contract and you will need a lawyer to check it's OK. I guess that will cost around €1,000.

And I expect the person who who is trying to find a buyer for you will want something. Obviously I can't say how much this will be but registered estate agents charge in the region of 5% of the sale price achieved.

I think that's everything.

Regards
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Hoffman

Re: Expenses when selling property

Post by Hoffman »

Thank you Nigel for your reply. Probate has been completed by my Lawyer and in a very acceptable timescale.
Now I need to concentrate on the sale of my property.
Regards
H