Repossession?

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
blue sky

Repossession?

Post by blue sky »

Hello all,
I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who has dealt with/is dealing with this? I got caught up in the whole Alpha Bank swiss franc mortgage fiasco... Unfortunately I was laid off my job 18 months ago and haven't been able to make all the payments. I am not entitled to any benefits/welfare help etc and although I have had 3 work contracts signed abroad, all of them fell through. So I have had to live off my savings and now have nothing left and Alpha are pushing me to the limits and I have the letter saying they will start court action against me in order to repossess. I have no family to ask for help, I live alone and this has been my primary residence for 12 years. I am distraught and not sure what to do, unfortunately I don't have money for legal help and am struggling on a day to day basis. I have possible jobs coming up in 2 to 3 months time, but from the letter, this will be too late... Does anyone have any advice?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Repossession?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Blue Sky & welcome to the forum.

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. The first thing you need to do is arrange a meeting with the bank.

I published an article in 2009 on how to deal with this situation - HELP – I can’t pay the mortgage!.

The British High Commission in Nicosia has published a list of lawyers, some of whom offer a Pro Bono service.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
blue sky

Re: Repossession?

Post by blue sky »

Thank you Nigel for your comments.
Unfortunately the bank are unwilling to help, I have been honest with them and explained the situation, they said they are unwilling to help any further as I had a grace period of two months... I have contacted one of the lawyers on the list, so await to hear their advice.