Evicting a tenant

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
michelle22cat

Evicting a tenant

Post by michelle22cat »

My tenant owes 2 months rent and has no tenancy agreement.

My rental agent seems to have more or less washed her hands of it and has advised me to take legal action.

I don't want to go down the legal route. Does anyone have experience or evicting the tenant themselves, turning off the water or getting someone else to do it (a rental agent or other)

I just want to know the quickest way to get the tenant out

Regards

Michelle
Pantheman

Re: Evicting a tenant

Post by Pantheman »

There are only 2 ways.

1. You have to go legal route for an eviction notice. This is the correct legal procedure.

2. You can get 'someone' to go have a word in their ear!!! This is the non legal way.

If you go and change locks, cut off water, electric, you could be in serious trouble if they were to call the police.

Why does your tenant have no tenancy agreement?? Why would you put someone in your property without such an agreement. I think you have left yourself open to problems, because now it will be your word against their!

You could go and be a pest and cause a fuss maybe they will get fed up and go. But the best option would be to seek legal advise first before you make any decisions about which route to take.

Sorry
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
michelle22cat

Post by michelle22cat »

Thanks for your reply

There is no agreement as they signed a 12 month tenancy agreement which lapsed, then they didn't move out.

Michelle
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Michelle

As Pan has advised, you'll have to go down the legal route and get an eviction order.

I've received quite a few reports over the years from landlords whose tenants are not paying the rent. These people seem to rely on the 'constipated' judicial system as it can take quite a long time to get them evicted.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news