Offical width of a road

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
littleted1516

Offical width of a road

Post by littleted1516 »

Hi
How can I find out the official width of a particular road? To get building permission I believe the road, or a road within a certain distance has to be at least 6 metres wide. The road in question is a tarmac road about 3 years old but will it be listed as that at the land registry?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Offical width of a road

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi littleted1516 and welcome to the forum.

The Land Registry may have details of the road - it may not.

If the road has been built illegally, i.e without the necessary permits, the Land Registry will have no knowledge of it.

It could also be that permits have been issued for the construction of the road - and the planning authorities have yet to inspect it.

It could also be that the planners have inspected the road, but it deviates from the permits granted for its construction.

It could also be that the planners have inspected the road and all is OK, but they have yet to pass the information to the Land Registry.

It could also be that the planners have passed the information to the Land Registry, but the Land Registry has yet to incorporate it in their database.

I think you first port of call would be to the planning authority to see if they have any information.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
littleted1516

Post by littleted1516 »

Thanks Nigel
The road is an existing road widened and tarmacked it must have been government money as it was a big job but as you say is it on the database?
As I am in the uk what class of person could I get to do the legwork for me? Please not a solicitor I still have the marks from the wringers Mr FP.
Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

A surveyor may be able to understand what you need and get the information. But I suggest you wait until you're next in Cyprus to make enquiries.

Have you bought/thinking of buying land and want to build?

Rgds,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
littleted1516

Post by littleted1516 »

Hi Nigel I bought 10 years ago and have the house half finished. (a combination of solicitor FP and buy sell) :oops: as I cannot afford to finish the house I want to sell up, but would like to know if permission could now be granted. Do you know if I can make an appointment at land registry and if so would that be at Larnaca as my land is in Freneros?

Many Thanks for your time
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Frenaros is in Famagusta District, the District Lands Office is in Larnaca:

Famagusta District Land Office
Faneromenis 59,
P.O.Box 40419,
6304, Larnaca
Tel: 24803109
Fax: 24304290
Email: fadlo@dls.moi.gov.cy
(District Land Officer: Mrs. Maria Evangelou)

The various permits and permissions that you had 10 years ago will still be valid.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

littleted1516 wrote: 23 Jan 2017 21:32 Hi
How can I find out the official width of a particular road? To get building permission I believe the road, or a road within a certain distance has to be at least 6 metres wide. The road in question is a tarmac road about 3 years old but will it be listed as that at the land registry?
You can establish if a road is intact registered and its with by looking at the cadastral plan.

A road is identified by parallel dashed lines. Using the scale on the plan measure the width on this lines and determine the road width.

To get planning for a single house you need a width of min 12 ft or whatever the conversion is to metres.

It develop a site you need a min width of 6.1m.

Just because there is what looks like a road physically, whatever its makeup does not make it official. Local councils are known for putting in roads with tarmac to serve a purpose, but that does not make it official. I almost got caught out by this a few years ago.

You should visit the planning department to make your enquiries, but you have to apply for the cadastral plan from the land registry and you can get this from Paralimni.

Hope that helps
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

littleted1516 wrote: 26 Jan 2017 13:31 Hi Nigel I bought 10 years ago and have the house half finished. (a combination of solicitor FP and buy sell) :oops: as I cannot afford to finish the house I want to sell up, but would like to know if permission could now be granted. Do you know if I can make an appointment at land registry and if so would that be at Larnaca as my land is in Freneros?

Many Thanks for your time
You would have to apply for renewal of the existing licences, you will get a 2 year extension if approved.

I say 'if' because usually renewal are granted unless some major change of the law affecting that regulation.

You need an architect to make the renewal submission and perhaps advise further before doing so.

If you are in the Famagusta area, I know a trusted person that can do that for you.
FSB Properties Ltd
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 26 Jan 2017 18:07 Frenaros is in Famagusta District, the District Lands Office is in Larnaca:

Famagusta District Land Office
Faneromenis 59,
P.O.Box 40419,
6304, Larnaca
Tel: 24803109
Fax: 24304290
Email: fadlo@dls.moi.gov.cy
(District Land Officer: Mrs. Maria Evangelou)

The various permits and permissions that you had 10 years ago will still be valid.

Regards,
Nigel, this is not so. A planning permit is valid for 3 years initially and may be need for a further 2 years. A well expired permit may need to be resubmitted depending as stated elsewhere.

A building permit pretty much the same. The OP does not say what permissions were granted initially, so can't say much else.
FSB Properties Ltd
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Thanks Pan

I thought a Planning Permit lapsed after 3 years if work had not started, but could be renewed for a further 2. But if work hadn't started within that period you had to apply for another Planning Permit.

And I thought the Building Permit lapsed after one year if substantial building work had not started.

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 28 Jan 2017 09:37 Thanks Pan

I thought a Planning Permit lapsed after 3 years if work had not started, but could be renewed for a further 2. But if work hadn't started within that period you had to apply for another Planning Permit.

And I thought the Building Permit lapsed after one year if substantial building work had not started.

Cheers,
Not to my knowledge, if work hadn't started there is a good possibility you may not get a renewal if regulations changed. But once you have started and made some progress you are more likely to get the renewal.

I am even wondering that if you had a permit to build on agricultural land but didn't start and the permit expired, then with the notice having been issued on preventing development on agricultural land you may not even get another permit.

1 year for a building permit is not enough anyway to complete the house as most properties would take 18 months - 2 years to build anyway, so it doesn't sound right to me.

I will enquire later and let you know.
FSB Properties Ltd