Build cost

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Tankman44

Build cost

Post by Tankman44 »

Hi all

Hope you are well.

I just wanted to get a very generic idea from you regarding build costs in Cyprus.

We may be looking to build initially a block of appartments on a plot of land we already own in Kiti Larnaca.

The appartments will have an outside area with a medium size swimming pool. Nothing too fancy just a basic one.

The appartments will have 2 x 2 bedroom apartments and 2 x 1 bedroom so a total of 4 appartments in this building.

Please could you give me a very rough idea of what the total build cost for a project like this would be?

We will be on a tight budget so we will won't it to be a fairly basic build nothing to spectacular.

Thank you
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Build cost

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi tankman and welcome to the forum

I can't say what construction costs are thee days, but there's a page at http://www.paphosconstruction.com/papho ... ost-cyprus that gives some indication.

I suggest that you get in touch with RICS (Cyprus) they may be able to help.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

About 1,000 euros per square meter, depending on finishes

You can do it for as low as 800 euros if you project manage yourself, but you need a contractor to cover you

above assumes a normal 2 storey house. if you have a block the costs will climb as you need elevators, scaffolding, etc etc

property box build for around 800 per sqm. i saw them at the construction expo last week and they looked OK. steel frame with insulation and plasterboard. a lot of different materials all married together whcih I dont like, but quality seemed fine.

be very careful here as building is a minefield and full of hidden costs and dishonesty
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Your architect should be the one advising on build costs since he drew up the plans. In addition he should also be able to advise on what construction method to use and what the costs differences would be.

You do no specify the size of the plot nor the size of the pool and type that you plan to install, unfortunately you are asking a 'how long is a piece of string' type question and I doubt any one could give you any ball park figure based on the info supplied. Just taking the euros/m2 is not good enough you could well be miles out.

There are also permit costs. professional fees, roads, pavements, boundary walls etc etc etc.

I guess you get the picture by now. If you don't want to get caught out and build it half way and run out of money, best to get it properly costed before you start.

Good luck all the same.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

We (or rather our contractor) built our house.

We agreed the plans with our architect and then got a bills of quantity from a quantity surveyor - and invited tenders from six contractors.

To help keep costs down we selected all the finishes, fixtures and fittings and the contractor fitted them.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
celadon

Post by celadon »

Nigel , you mention the Architect / surveyor then contractor route which still seems sensible after all these years! Any suggestions on the best architects to go for initially and then Quantity Surveyors would be appreciated?

Thanks

Colin
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Colin

I see that your land is in Tala. A few years ago Yiannis Koutsolambros, an architect in Paphos, spoke at the UKCA about the town planning amnesty. I've visited him since with some people who were trying to sort out their planning issues. You'll find his contact details on the firms website at http://www.lkarchitects.net/en

You could also get in touch with the Cyprus Architect's Association - see http://www.architecture.org.cy/index.ph ... pikoinonia - they may be able to send you a list of registered architects in Paphos.

I don't know of any QS, most architects will work with a QS.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

Architects in Cyprus are notoriously corrupt and often in cahoots with the contractor to inflate build costs, skim off the top and cut corners.

Not to mention, their fees are exorbitant

Tread VERY carefully when dealing with architects in Cyprus. In fact, tread very carefully when dealing with anybody involved in the process of building a house. Most people get caught out, which is why the island is littered with half finished structures.

Calculating build costs is not rocket science. You can work out yourself roughly the cubic metres of cement you will need, the amount of steel, formwork, plastering, labour costs, finishes, etc

What explodes most budgets is retaining walls, excavations and earthworks and unexpected problems like unstable soil