Why don't all local community councils make local IPT charge?

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
JoanneL

Why don't all local community councils make local IPT charge?

Post by JoanneL »

Hi Nigel

I understand that the new IPT rates based on 2013 values will take effect from this year and that IPT collected by local authorites will be abolished. My local community council (Konia) have told me that Konia does not make a charge for IPT locally, so residents will continue to pay only the normal services/rubbish collection charge. I am a little confused by all this. Why do not all councils make a local IPT charge and are Konia right about residents still having to pay the normal local services charge? I don't remember ever reading anywhere about local IPT being payable in addition to the normal services charge. Have I just simply just missed something?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Why don't all local community councils make local IPT charge?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi JoanneL and welcome to the forum.

I expect you will find that Konia assesses your charge for refuse collection, street lighting, sewerage and similar community services based on the 1980 value of your property. Typically these will be in the range €80 – €250 per annum.

I live in Erimi and last year I paid a total of €15.12 in local property tax to my local Community, but in Konia it seems you do not.

The new IPT rates, etc. are still being discussed by various Parliamentary Committees - it's not a done deal yet.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
JoanneL

Re: Why don't all local community councils make local IPT charge?

Post by JoanneL »

Thank you, Nigel. I had no idea that Councils were able to make their own local IPT charge, in addition to the local community charges.

Thank you for the clarification. As far as IPT based on 2013 rates is concerned, as you say, we'll need to wait until the bill has been finaly passed in Parliament.