committee management tactics

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
paphostom

committee management tactics

Post by paphostom »

There are many posts on this forum advocating owners set themselves up as self managing 'management committees' and how you can apply for a memo to sue non paying owners.

I do not advocate that owners should not pay what they are legally required to but beware:

On our complex there are owners who are 'committee members' who have forced through resolutions to change the way in which the allocation of costs is apportioned by denying proxy votes held by one party to be counted. ( The committee owners have of course saved themselves money and if the votes had been counted the resolutions would have been beaten.). Their whole argument being the previous allocation policy set up by developer was illegal, but taking them to court meant they'd probably lose
The same committee have taken it upon themselves to commit the other owners to a capital spend of around 30,000 ( we are A SMALL COMPLEX), without consultation with the other owners just presenting them with a 'fait a compli', and no option to vote on its feasibility or affordability in this present climate. Because only a few of us have complained they continue to steer the complex and hence the owners towards bankruptcy, using us as the scape goats.

It is of course a lot more complex then I can put on this forum. as this is only a snapshot.

So quick question Nigel, what are our options in preventing this or do we sue them for mismanagement and if so how?.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: committee management tactics

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi paphostom

The method for calculating communal charges is set out in the law and cannot therefore be changed by a committee. (The committee can only change the regulations governing the the running of the complex providing they have sufficient backing from the owners).

The committee cannot deny proxy votes! Who are these megalomaniacs?

I suggest you take legal advice on an appropriate course of action.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news