Setting up a new management committee

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
Jezzb

Setting up a new management committee

Post by Jezzb »

I am new to this forum so hope I am doing this correctly.

I live on a complex of 104 apartments which was finished in 2009. I have been to Land Registry and they say they have everything required from the developer and have now completed all the surveys. Our file has moved on to the next stage now and I have to go back in 2 weeks to get an update.

Meantime we are paying the developer large sums of money - annually in advance - to maintain the common areas and we never receive any comprehensive breakdown of costs. We also only get done what the developer wants to do - not what the owners want. Thee owners wish to now move to change this.

I know we need by law to set up a management committee to run the complex but I am unsure of the timing of this. Ideally we would like to get it set up now and hold the first AGM in September. We have never had any AGM with the developer nor have we signed any management contract. Can we set up the committee and start to manage before we have any title deeds - my understanding was that this changed recently and we no longer need to wait for a title deed - can you clarify for me and, if possible, point me to the regulations where that is set out as I am sure we will meet resistence from the developer as he is making so much money out of us?

I have also heard that the developer must give up maintenance of the site when the individual title deeds have been issued. Is this the case and, if so, is it just one title deed or them all?

Many thanks.

Jezzb
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Setting up a new management committee

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Jezzb wrote:Can we set up the committee and start to manage before we have any title deeds - my understanding was that this changed recently and we no longer need to wait for a title deed - can you clarify for me and, if possible, point me to the regulations where that is set out as I am sure we will meet resistance from the developer as he is making so much money out of us?
I'm afraid that different Land Registry Offices work in different ways and I cannot give you a categorical answer on this - but yes, it should be possible to set up a Management Committee even though you do not have your deeds. (There is a committee I know of in Larnaca that is operating even though Title Deeds have yet to be issued).

Here are some links to documents that should help you:

Jointly Owned Buildings - Law of 1993

Jointly Owned Buildings – Insurance Information

Jointly Owned Buildings – sample regulations for a management committee

You will also find the following article, written by Louise Zambartas, useful - Managing Cyprus apartments and building complexes

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news