LAW RELATING TO COMMUNAL SWIMMING POOLS

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
chrisaabb

LAW RELATING TO COMMUNAL SWIMMING POOLS

Post by chrisaabb »

Hi Nigel

I am on the Management Committee for a complex which has a communal swimming pool. We have been told that the pool is public (even though the complex has a notice confirming that it is private property and trespassers will be prosecuted). We are trying to ascertain what the regulations are with regards to putting up gates and fences around the pool as the Health and Safety Inspector has advised us that we need to do this as we have a public pool but cannot provide anything to clarify our obligations in this regard. I read your article dated August 2008 with interest where you advise that the Cyprus Land & Building Developers Association has reached an agreement with the Cyprus government that communal swimming pools in commonly owned complexes should not be classified as ‘public pools’. You suggest that revised legislation will be voted on by Parliament and should be in place by the end of 2008.

Can you please let me know what the current position is regarding communal pools ie are they public or private pools and what are the regulations pertaining to them (I have a copy of the 1996 regulations for public pools covering notices, lifeguards etc but these do not mention fences and gates)

Thanks and regards

Chris
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: LAW RELATING TO COMMUNAL SWIMMING POOLS

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

As far as I'm aware, the law has yet to be changed. 'Shared' pools in development complexes are still considered to be public pools.

This is how the law currently stands:
  • Cyprus Law N.55(I)/92 states in paragraph 2 that the term ‘public swimming pool’ also includes the swimming pools of buildings which are used by the owners of the units or their tenants.

Regulation Number 368/96 states in paragraph 47 (1) that all the employees relating to the swimming pool have to obtain a health certificate, to be clean and to behave properly.

Paragraph 47(2) states that all the trained supervisors will be on duty during the operation and the use of the swimming pool. Their number is determined in accordance with the size of the swimming pool and the number of the persons usually using the swimming pool.

Paragraph 47 (2)(a)(i) states that for small swimming pools at least one trained supervisor is necessary to be appointed.

Part VII of the Regulations Paragraph 53 states that a license is needed for the operation of a swimming pool by applying to the relevant authority. The last decision is made by the Minister.
It was hoped that this ridiculous situation would have been resolved by now, but that hasn't happened.

I don't know what the Health & Safety regulations are - but I'm surprised that the Health & Safety Inspector doesn't know them either!

If you visit one of the larger swimming pool suppliers, I'm sure they'll be able to advise you concerning fencing and gates.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
chrisaabb

Post by chrisaabb »

Hi Nigel

Thanks for your prompt response and for the detailed information.

We will go back to the Health and Safety Inspector with an interpreter and endeavour to get a copy of the relevant regulations in English so we can see what is needed.

Kind regards

Chris
Stevey40

Post by Stevey40 »

Hi,
Is there an update on these laws yet as someone on my complex has said that someone from the council has visited and said we need lifeguards, certificates etc.
now all the residents are saying that they want to fill in the pool to save the hassle . Surely this is a storm in a tea cup as I would like to keep the pool !!
Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Steve,

As far as I am aware, the laws have not changed.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
emgee

Post by emgee »

I heard that a pool was checked in Paphos 4 or 5 years ago, but not heard of any since.

Our pool is public, we just don't let anyone else use it, we have some big lads on our complex. The Police don't care, far to busy with other matters to sort out squabbling Brits.

Alan