Registering of Management Committee

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
Ruthie

Registering of Management Committee

Post by Ruthie »

Hi, Nigel (and anyone viewing this).

You asked me to keep you informed with how things went in trying to register our Management Committee prior to receiving our individual Title Deeds. Have just returned from a 6 week stay in Cyprus, during which time much work was carried out in respect of everything connected to the Committee, and in managing the communal areas.

I was emphatically informed by Paphos Lands and Surveys Department that we do not have the right to register the Committee until such times as the individual Title Deeds have been issued to us - so we are at least sure of that now. I cannot see though, that when the time is right for us to make an application for registration, that it will prove easy. All the forms are in Greek only and the gentleman who is in charge of this, advised me that he neither reads nor speaks English - fairplay really, as I am unable to write or converse in Greek! Interestingly though, a young woman who I spoke to within the department (and had a good command of English), checked for me, and advised that it was not actually a legal requirement to register a Management Committee. Anyway, that's something to try and tackle again, once we do finally receive our deeds. Looking like it will now be around this time next year when they finally become available to us.

Those of you who may plan to visit the Lands & Surveys Department for the first time at the new Government Buildings in Paphos, may find it useful to know that they are located in building 'B' on the second floor. When we visited, we found that there wasn't one sign in English, so knowing exactly where to go will save anyone having to queue somewhere before they can ask for directions!

Regards.

Ruthie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Registering of Management Committee

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Ruthie,

Thanks for the update.

I spoke with Louise Zambartas about registering Management Committees - she was successful in registering one committee without its Title Deeds at the eastern end of the island, but this seems to have been a mistake on the part of the Land Registry.

I've not been to the Land Registry in Paphos for some time (mine is in Limassol). Interestingly there was an enterprising young lawyer outside the Limassol Land Registry when I last visited who helped me to complete the forms I needed to get copies of my Title Deed and cadastral plans. He charged me €5. Maybe there's a similar enterprising chap who cold help outside the Paphos Land Registry?

I have to admit the law isn't very clear on what's needed and what's not needed regarding the registration of the Management Committee and the regulations. In case you want some bedtime reading, you can download an authorised English language translation of the law from my website at http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/f ... gs-law.pdf

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news