Janitor who doesn't want to do anything

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
Jordan

Janitor who doesn't want to do anything

Post by Jordan »

I bought an apartment in Limassol not even a year ago to rent it out.

3 months later while doing the exit inventory of the tenant, I noticed that there was paint peeling off the ceiling, surely due to a leak (namely that the apartment is located on the 5th and top floor of the building).
I go to see the concierge of the building who has the keys to the roof (already only she has the keys to access the roof and access the electric meters...) to inspect it.

The roof is in very bad condition, the waterproofing should have been done a while ago, so I ask him for repairs because there is water that starts flowing in the apartment when there is heavy rain .

She tells me that it's up to me to pay because she has no money and that she wants me to pay a "craftsman" who works illegally, so I wouldn't even have a bill to prove that the roof has been repaired...

Anyway I don't know what to do anymore... if an organization, an association or anyone can help me please.

Thank you in advance for your return.

Good day to you
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Janitor who doesn't want to do anything

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jordan and welcome to the forum.

You need to speak with the Management Committee, which is responsible for maintaining, repairing, insuring and managing the building.

A Management Committee is required by law and you pay communal fees to the committee, which are calculated on the size of your apartment unit.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Hi Nigel !

I find it where the management committee ?
I really have the impression that there is only this concierge...

Best regards
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jordan

You should be paying communal fees to the management committee. Whoever you pay is a member of the committee.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Hello Nigel !

The problem is that the committe is just the concierge and I don't find it normal that there is only one person who makes decisions for the whole building and without knowing what she does whit our money.
Looks like a dictatorship.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jordan

A concierge is merely a caretaker. I don't understand why you are paying him?

I'll send you an email. I need to see a legible copy of your contract of sale and any other agreements you have relating to your apartment and the Title Deed (assuming you have one.)

You and the other owners need to set up a Management Committee as described in the document you can download by clicking here.

If you haven't signed an agreement to pay this ''concierge' I suggest you and the other owners stop paying him. (It sounds to me as if you're being scammed.)

You may also wish to take legal advice on this matter. As you're in Limassol, I suggest you get in touch with L.G. Zambartas (one of the firms on the list provided by the UK Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jordan

A concierge is merely a caretaker. I don't understand why you are paying him?

I'll send you an email. I need to see a legible copy of your contract of sale and any other agreements you have relating to your apartment and the Title Deed (assuming you have one.)

You and the other owners need to set up a Management Committee as described in the document you can download by clicking here.

If you haven't signed an agreement to pay this ''concierge' I suggest you and the other owners stop paying him. (It sounds to me as if you're being scammed.)

You may also wish to take legal advice on this matter. As you're in Limassol, I suggest you get in touch with L.G. Zambartas (one of the firms on the list provided by the UK Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth