setting upa communal committee

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
surawy

setting upa communal committee

Post by surawy »

Our developer left after one years management-=-he did nothing.
We now have to set up a committtee??
none of us live in Cyprus.
none of us have title deeds.
our complex maintainance company is based in the UK.(offices in Paphos)
The complex --28 apartments --17 sold as far as i am aware.
Our solicitors are formalising the process by asking 3 or 5 members to form the committee---bits of paper---then it will go to Land Registry---and opening a Complex Cypriot bank account.
Questions are
1) can we not form a Uk based committee---as we all are here --and presuming we can sort out the communal electric/rates bills etc.
2) Whats the point of regestring with the land registry--they will only take action if title deeds are held by the owner involved.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: setting upa communal committee

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi surawy and welcome to the forum.

According to law, housing complexes comprising five or more units are required to have an Management Committee that regulates and manages relevant affairs. This includes the insurance of the common parts of the complex (entrance halls, swimming pools, stairwells etc) as well as their maintenance and repair.

The Management Committee is also responsible for collecting maintenance charges from the owners.

There's an English translation of the law on my website that you can download from http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/f ... gs-law.pdf

The regulations concerning the function and operation of the committee need to be drawn up and registered with the Land Registry.

The committee can meet wherever convenient, it doesn't have to be in Cyprus. But wherever it meets, it needs to be convenient for those who have bought property in the complex.

As far as I'm aware, the Land Registry will take no action apart from registering the regulations.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news