Motions for Annual General Meeting

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
Blackie

Motions for Annual General Meeting

Post by Blackie »

Dear Nigel

Please could you answer the following:

An Annual General Meeting date has been circulated by our Property Management Company but no invite for motions from owners. An agenda has now been received, with 2 motions included but no request from other owners. Is this right and do we have a legal right to put our motions forward. It seems a bit suspect that the only 2 motions on there are related to the commencement of new contract with current Property Management Company and a key issue.

Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Motions for Annual General Meeting

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Blackie,

You can download a copy of the law (in English) from my website at Jointly Owned Buildings Law of 1993.

I've taken a quick look through it but I can't find anything on requesting or submitting motions. I would have thought that you would make any submissions to the secretary. I cannot really see any sort of committee acting effectively if it didn't take agenda items from the people it represents. Perhaps this aspect is covered elsewhere and I believe that the law has been revised a little since then.

If you read though the law, one thing you can do is to write to the Management Committee asking it to convene an extraordinary meeting to discuss the issues at hand - you will need the support of 25% of the owners to do this. If the Management Committee doesn't comply with your request within 14 days, you can convene a meeting yourself.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Blackie

Re: Motions for Annual General Meeting

Post by Blackie »

Hi Nigel

Thank you for you reply, I have the Cyprus Law and I could not find any reference to motions either. Thanks for the tip on arranging an EGM.